3/4 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. molasses
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
chocolate chips (optional, but necessary in our house :)
1. Beat sugar & butter together until creamed.
2. Beat in egg & molasses.
3. Add dry ingredients until combined.
4. Refridgerate for at least 30 min.
5. Roll into 1" balls and place on ungreased pan.
6. Bake for 8-10 min in 350º.
2 egg whites
2 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon
3 c. of conf. sugar
1. Whip up egg whites and lemon juice until combined.
2. Slowly add in conf. sugar and mix until shiny and lump-less. :)
3. Add food coloring.
For really pretty royal icing, make a thicker mixture first and outline the cookie and draw the face.
After that, thin out your icing so that it is a little bit thinner, and then spread it in the negative space. It should run the the edges pretty without going over... I was a bit lazy and used the same icing for both parts... hence the un-perfected cookies :)