Fall baking is my favorite! And what makes this cake extra special was that this was the first thing I baked in our new home here in Rhode Island... and the extra cherry on top was that it was pouring rain outside with bright yellow fall leaves in our backyard. Coming from Southern CA... this moment was out of a dream for me! So I'll just end right here and continue with a recipe below, because seriously that photo above explains it all.
Apple Crumble Cake
via Crunchy Creamy Sweet
For the cake:
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. gran. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 c. + 2 tbsp. milk
3/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. + 2 tsp. canola oil
1 large egg
For the apples:
2 to 3 medium apples washed and peeled and sliced
2 tbsp. gran. sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
For the topping:
1/3 c. packed light brown sugar
1/3 c. gran. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
1. Grease and flour 8" round springform pan and set aside
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
To make the topping:
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt and flour. Add melted butter and fluff with fork until mixtures create crumble. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, toss together apple slices with 2 tbsp. of sugar, 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon and the apple cider vinegar. Set aside.
To make the cake:
5. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a large measuring cup, mix together milk, vanilla, oil and egg. Whisk until smooth.
6. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir with a wooden spoon making sure not to over mix. Lumps are okay.
7. Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan.
8. Arrange the apple slices over the batter.
9. Sprinkle crumb topping over the apples covering completely.
10. Bake the cake for 30-35 min until the topping is a golden brown.
11. Let it cool completely and transfer to a serving plate. Keep covered for up to 4 days.